Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A winter wonderland weekend

It is cold.

Ok. So it is not as cold as Minnesota, by any means, but it is still cold enough for me. Brrrrr...

Chris and I decided to go to Red Rock Canyon State Park on Saturday, and we took a little detour into Tehachapi on the way there since we saw snow on the hills and wanted to check it out. We ended up in Tehachapi Mountain Park, a little out-of-the-way spot. There were quite a few people there, sledding, building snowmen and having snowball fights. It was cloudy and cold. It even started to flurry a little bit as we walked around. It was kind of a mess though, with some pickup trucks getting stuck and sliding around. I wanted to get out of there before one of them slid into my car or, worse, me! Besides, it was damned cold! I was freezing my ass off. Still, I wanted to go sledding, but, alas, I had no sled. I coulda just sat down and slid on my butt, but I didn't have an extra pair of pants in the car, so I decided that was not a good idea - hehe.

After we left Tehachapi, we went to Red Rock Canyon. Whata change in climates! Red Rock Canyon is only about an hour from Tehachapi, and in that distance, the clouds parted and made way for a sunny day. But it was windy. I mean windy! The wind was gusting and blowing my car to and fro. It was hard at times to keep going in a straight line. We got to Red Rock and walked around the rocks, but it was really windy up there, too ... and cold! After a little while, we got back in the car and made our way back to Bakersfield.

The next day, we decided to check out Shirley Meadows Ski Resort. Now, I don't ski...never have before, but I wanted to see what it looked like. So, we drove up State Route 155 through Glennville and then ended up in Shirley Meadows. The drive from the turnoff to Shirley Meadows to the actual ski resort was beautiful. It looked exactly like a winter wonderland. I found myself humming that song as I drove along, in fact (lol). You had to be careful and drive slowly as the road, in some parts, was still coverered with snow, and I have no chains, snow tires or 4-wheel drive on my car. Still, with slow driving, I made my way up there without so much as a slide. Other cars were having some trouble though. We came across a pickup truck that was having trouble getting out of the parking spot. Her rear tires were spinning, having no traction. But some nice people came along and gave her a push, and she was soon on her way.

Shirley Meadows is a small ski resort, located above Wofford Heights, CA. There were quite a few people there skiing and snowboarding. We watched the people skiing for a bit, and walked around to a trail on the side of the resort where some cross-country skiers were heading out. I was glad to have brought my waterproof hiking boots. They kept my feet warm. I took some pictures and threw some snowballs and had a great old time. I wished I had a sled and some mittens. I would have been out there with the kids sledding away. Nothing brings out the kid in me like snow!

After we had gotten cold enough, we got in the car and headed back to Bakersfield. We had a great time in the snow.

I posted pictures on my other blog, which you can get to by clicking HERE. I haven't gotten to upload them to my Yahoo photo album yet. I had a really BAD headache yesterday evening and took some Advil and took a nap. Maybe I will post them tonight.

No comments:

Terror Alert
Level

Click to Email me

(click on the envelope to email me)

adopt your own virtual pet!

adopt your own virtual pet!

online

well, have you?

pretty please?

Template Design By: Free Blogger Skins Blog Template modified using cu products by the following designers: Pixels and Ice Cream, Ashalee Wall, Bannerwoman, Chris Scrap, Kimb's Designs, Delicious Scraps, Cindy Doerksen, ACM Designz, Lolotte, Scrappin Cop, Julia Fialho, Thaty Borges, DigiWeb Studio, Teresa Taylor, TMS, One Scrappy Mom, Mitia Assef, Mercas Designs, DigiDesign Resort. Thanks!

Powered by Blogger