Thursday, March 24, 2005

It's a cell world after all

One of the best inventions of all time (aside from the microwave) is the cell phone. It is a handy-dandy device that allows your friends and family access to you at all times, no matter whether you are at home relaxing on the couch, or in your car on the go. Having a cell phone has saved me many a time. I had to use it when I was involved in a car accident to call the police, to call my dad when I had a flat tire, to call Triple A when I had a dead battery and was stuck out on the road at 2 am, and to call my mom when I locked myself out of my apartment (hehe). Having one when you are on the road can also be a lifesaver, especially if you run out of gas or if your battery dies. Cell phones have become almost a necessity in everyday life for thousands of people. However, there are certain places where cell phones should be turned off....



~ In church (this is obvious)

~ At the movies - PLEASE turn your phone OFF when you are at the movies - it is soooooo annoying to hear a phone go off while you are trying to watch a movie.

~ In the library (yes, no talking is still a rule at the library)

~ At school

~ On an airplane (duh)

~ On a date (there is nothing ruder than to have your date answer the phone while you are eating dinner or something)

~ In a restaurant

~ At the theatre (like a play or an opera)

~ At the doctor's office (especially while you are being seen)

~ At a job interview or other appointment

I have had several clients at my job "excuse" themselves to answer their cell phones while I am in the middle of conducting their interview. This annoys me to death. I am sure they could wait just a little while to tell their significant others what's for dinner. Ugh. I hate that! Turn that puppy off when you are being interviewed people!! And in the doctor's office, I am sure your doctor would not like you to "excuse" yourself off of the examining table to answer your phone. There are times when it is ok to turn off your phones, or at least set them to "silent" or "vibrate". The world is not gonna end if you miss a call. It is easy.....just push the button. It's ok...take deep breaths and just relax. There. You did it. It wasn't that hard now, was it?

I see people all the time talking on their cell phones in the car. I don't have too much of a problem with this, unless the driver is veering all over the road or not paying attention to where they are going. To say that cell phones are the biggest causes of accidents, though, I think is a misstatement. There are plenty of distractions that cause people to take their eyes off of the road. One of the biggest culprits is those "rubberneckers" - you know...the people who slow down to look at an accident. Chances are that these same people will end up in an accident eventually and other people will be slowing down to look at THEM. Radios and CD players are another culprit, and have been long before cell phones even came around. Children in the car, reading maps, shaving and putting on makeup are other driving distractions, which I think are even more distracting that cell phones. Plus, they have headsets for cell phones nowadays, which make cell phones even safer to use.




I love cell phones, and can't imagine life without one. Not because I need to be talking all the time to people, but "just in case." Lord knows I am not the most graceful of people and it would not be at all surprising to one day find myself in a situation where I am thankful to have my cell phone with me. Just keep those batteries charged!

No comments:

Terror Alert
Level

Click to Email me

(click on the envelope to email me)

adopt your own virtual pet!

adopt your own virtual pet!

online

well, have you?

pretty please?

Template Design By: Free Blogger Skins Blog Template modified using cu products by the following designers: Pixels and Ice Cream, Ashalee Wall, Bannerwoman, Chris Scrap, Kimb's Designs, Delicious Scraps, Cindy Doerksen, ACM Designz, Lolotte, Scrappin Cop, Julia Fialho, Thaty Borges, DigiWeb Studio, Teresa Taylor, TMS, One Scrappy Mom, Mitia Assef, Mercas Designs, DigiDesign Resort. Thanks!

Powered by Blogger