Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Bah Humbug

It doesn't take much observation to see that Christmas is just around the corner. The freeways are getting busier, people are getting ruder, and it is becoming increasingly difficlut to find a parking spot in parking lots. You can tell why I almost hate this time of year. Never have I seen a picture of a Santa Claus with a frown on his face....he is always smiling, cuz he is a jolly sort of person. So what turns people into monsters in what is supposed to be a jolly, happy season? I am still trying to figure that one out myself. Maybe it is that quest for the perfect toy. You know, the one parents try to get for their kids, but not for the kids really, but so the kids can brag to the other kids about how THEIR mom or dad got them the new super powered, interchangeable, laser equipped, spaceship/range rover...or whatever the latest craze is. The whole season has become so commercial that people forget what the holiday was made for in the first place. The holiday, to me, is about celebrating love and family, and nowhere into that equation does that require me to go out into a crowded mall to fight over some stupid toy. I mean presents are nice. And there is nothing wrong with wanting a certain something for Christmas. But I have been witness to people who get something for Christmas and are so ungrateful for what they got that it just sickens me. It is the thought that counts after all (unless you get polyester pants, which in case, you may complain and return to your heart's content!) I am not really into getting presents as much as I am into giving presents. It is just a "me" thing. I love to go shopping and find that perfect little something for the people I care about. Not something big, expensive and trendy... but something small and meaningful, that really shows I put alot of thought into instead of a lot of money. I think those are the best kinds of gifts. I never complain about not getting presents, because I figure if I don't get anything, then I must have been bad in the first place to not have gotten anything (LOL). Personally, I would be happy with just a Christmas card! And even then, I don't always get that, which, to be honest, does hurt my feelings a little. And then I can't help but to feel sad for the people who have no family and no friends, and who have to spend the holidays alone. I am thankful that I have my family and friends to spend my holidays with. But then, I do get lonely when I see all these happy couples walking around, holding hands and kissing under the mistletoe. This time of year always depresses me, and it makes me understand how so many people can get depressed around this time of year. I just want a happy Christmas, even if I have no significant other around to share it with. The happiest Christmas I can imagine, in my present state (lol), would be one where people are courteous and kind, the streets are traffic-free, and parking spaces are abundant....and maybe a little less "It's A Wonderful Life" on tv. But that is never gonna happen, so I will just grin and bear it, and have as good a time as I can have this holiday season.

No comments:

Terror Alert
Level

Click to Email me

(click on the envelope to email me)

adopt your own virtual pet!

adopt your own virtual pet!

online

well, have you?

pretty please?

Template Design By: Free Blogger Skins Blog Template modified using cu products by the following designers: Pixels and Ice Cream, Ashalee Wall, Bannerwoman, Chris Scrap, Kimb's Designs, Delicious Scraps, Cindy Doerksen, ACM Designz, Lolotte, Scrappin Cop, Julia Fialho, Thaty Borges, DigiWeb Studio, Teresa Taylor, TMS, One Scrappy Mom, Mitia Assef, Mercas Designs, DigiDesign Resort. Thanks!

Powered by Blogger