Monday, November 29, 2004

Coco and Apple and Phinneas oh my!

My best friend and I were talking online last nite about baby names, as she is pregnant and is going to have a baby in late April. She says she is stuck on picking out a girl's name right now, and was running through some baby name ideas with me. She likes the names Mikayla and Brianna alot but isn't quite sure they go with her last name and not too sure if she will like the nicknames those names would have. I am just happy she is putting a lot of thought into the naming of her child, as some people sure haven't! (or if they have spent a lot of time thinking and came up with a name like, let's say, Rocketship, then they have some serious problems!) It seems like celebrities are the worst at picking out names, and it is even worse when these celebrities pick out these hideous names (like Jet or Apple) and suddenly these names become trendy, paving the way for a future of very angry and tormented kids. But celebrities think they are special and that they are expected to give their kids off the wall names. I think people should stay away from naming their kids after a fruit, or any kind of food product period! I can just imagine someday (after I have a kid first of course), having my kid come home and introducing her friends Mango, Pumpkin and Oregano to me. Or having my son have his friend Bayleaf stay the night. As for me, I love the names Lauren Amber (or Amber Lauren), and Nathaniel Adam , which are nice, sensible and not too long names. You do have to think though about what their initials would spell. For instance, if your last name was Smith, you would not want to name your child Ashleigh Samantha. Or if your last name were Whittier, you would not want to name your kid Raymond Alexander. And in no instances would you want to nickname your child B.J. There are just some things that are better left for comedy movies...like I would never name my kid Gaylord...no matter if it was a family name or not! Sometimes old names remain unused for good reason...like Harriet or Hilda. As for names, I can only speak for myself when I say that I would not name my kid any of the following names:

Candy, Star, Rainbow, Apple (or any other kind of fruit or food name), Jet, Queen, King, Prince, Princess, Hamlet, Superman, Phinneas, Placenscia, Diva, Chastity, Lemuel, Blue (or any other color for that matter), Rex, Tiger, Assylyn, Griselda, Hildegarde, Humphrey, Hugo, and Silent Tears.

Personally, I like nice, simple names which will not make my child end up getting teased and beaten up over. I can only say, that if I ever have a child, I will ne nice and give him or her a nice, normal name, and hopefully he or she will thank me someday for not giving him or her a name like Fallopia or Poindexter.




1 comment:

Sasha@Pw said...

Heh...the name chastity is really an oxymoron. :)

Terror Alert
Level

Click to Email me

(click on the envelope to email me)

adopt your own virtual pet!

adopt your own virtual pet!

online

well, have you?

pretty please?

Template Design By: Free Blogger Skins Blog Template modified using cu products by the following designers: Pixels and Ice Cream, Ashalee Wall, Bannerwoman, Chris Scrap, Kimb's Designs, Delicious Scraps, Cindy Doerksen, ACM Designz, Lolotte, Scrappin Cop, Julia Fialho, Thaty Borges, DigiWeb Studio, Teresa Taylor, TMS, One Scrappy Mom, Mitia Assef, Mercas Designs, DigiDesign Resort. Thanks!

Powered by Blogger