Friday, April 29, 2005

Etiquette is for sissies

I don't want to be
Anything other that what I've been trying to be lately.
All I have to do
Is think of me and I have peace of mind.
I'm tired of looking 'round rooms
Wondering what I've got to do
Or who I'm supposed to be.
I don't want to be anything other than me.
~ Gavin Degraw "I Don't Wanna Be"

I am tired of hearing how people are supposed to do this or supposed to do that. Or supposed to look like this or dress like that. People are not just carbon copies of everyone else. They are individuals with their own likes and dislikes. And I certainly am not one to conform to what society thinks is ideal. After all, what is society but a group of people? And who is to say that society is always right anyway? I think I have just as much right to believe what I want to believe and think how I want to think. I have never been a conformist. Even when I was in elementary school, I would get into trouble for questioning the teachers about things or talking too much, or, heaven forbid, for not keeping my socks up to my knees. It gets hot in the summer, and who wants stupid socks covering up their legs when it is hot? Apparently the teachers' rules were not all about common sense. And I think I made them mad for making them look stupid in front of everyone else. Now, I was a good kid. I never got into trouble for fighting or being a bully or being mean. No. I was always nice and respectful...when I was treated nice and respectfully. But that was because I wanted to be that way, not because I thought I HAD to be. There are a lot of people in the world who think it is ok to pick on the smaller, weaker people just because they can. I am not saying that THAT kind of behavior is ok. Just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should do it. If that were the case, it would be pure anarchy. There has to be rules and boundaries set forth to keep civilization "civilized."

What I don't like is when people tell me I MUST be politically correct, or that I MUST go to church, or that I MUST dress a certain way or talk in a certain manner. And I don't like feeling that I have to walk on eggshells around certain people for fear of offending them. We live in a society where it is taboo to talk about certain things, like sex, yet we see violence on the news all the time. Why is it ok to talk about and show people getting killed and it is not ok to mention something like oral sex on tv? Am I missing something or is death not worse than sex? lol. And it is perfectly ok to show a decapitated body on a tv show, but you flash a breast and all of a sudden you are being indecent. I don't know, but there seems to be something wrong with this picture.

Now, I may not be the world's best person. I am not a fashionable dresser; I am not a great speaker; I don't have shampoo-bottle-label perfect hair; I don't have the body of a model; I am short; I am stubborn; I am opinionated and can be obnoxiously silly...but I am me. And there is nobody else I would rather be. I am not going to call people "vertically challenged" or any other PC bullshit like that. I will say "shit" instead of "crap" when I want to , because they mean the same damned thing. And I will not apologize for any of this, because I am not doing anything wrong. I am not going to try to look like Heidi Klum, because that is not who I am. I am not going to do anything just to try to impress people or to gain some friends, because a true friend likes you for who you already are. And if you are pretending to be someone you are not, you are not going to get real friends. So what is the point of being someone you are not? Simple...there is none.

1 comment:

enter my head said...

i agree with you fuller. well said

Terror Alert
Level

Click to Email me

(click on the envelope to email me)

adopt your own virtual pet!

adopt your own virtual pet!

online

well, have you?

pretty please?

Template Design By: Free Blogger Skins Blog Template modified using cu products by the following designers: Pixels and Ice Cream, Ashalee Wall, Bannerwoman, Chris Scrap, Kimb's Designs, Delicious Scraps, Cindy Doerksen, ACM Designz, Lolotte, Scrappin Cop, Julia Fialho, Thaty Borges, DigiWeb Studio, Teresa Taylor, TMS, One Scrappy Mom, Mitia Assef, Mercas Designs, DigiDesign Resort. Thanks!

Powered by Blogger