Saturday, April 16, 2005

Rocking and rolling in Central California




As I was getting dressed no more than 10 minutes ago, my place started shaking and the stars on my ceiling started moving back and forth...yep, it was an earthquake. I sat on my bed for a minute wondering if the shaking was going to get any stronger, and when I decided it was ok, I just sat there and enjoyed the ride. Earth shaking is just one of the "perks" of living in California.

Of course, I had to look it up to see where the epicenter was (since I am a nerd like that).

Magnitude 5.1 - CENTRAL CALIFORNIA 2005 April 16 19:18:12 UTC Preliminary Earthquake Report California Integrated Seismic NetUSGS/ Caltech/ CGS/ UCB/ UCSD/ UNR

A moderate earthquake occurred at 19:18:12 (UTC) on Saturday, April 16, 2005. The magnitude 5.1 event has been located in CENTRAL CALIFORNIA.


Location
35.021°N, 119.174°W


Depth
0.4 km (~0.2 mile) (poorly constrained)


Region
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA


Distances
19 km (12 miles) N (356°) from Pine Mountain Club, CA

19 km (12 miles) WSW (256°) from Mettler, CA
21 km (13 miles) E (101°) from Maricopa, CA
36 km (22 miles) SW (222°) from Lamont, CA
40 km (25 miles) SSW (199°) from Bakersfield, CA
137 km (85 miles) NW (322°) from Los Angeles Civic Center, CA

so the epicenter was pretty close to home. Luckily it was only a moderate earthquake, so nothing fell off my shelves, but it did wake up Squeakers, my hamster - lol.

Wonder if there will be any aftershocks - lol.

No comments:

Terror Alert
Level

Click to Email me

(click on the envelope to email me)

adopt your own virtual pet!

adopt your own virtual pet!

online

well, have you?

pretty please?

Template Design By: Free Blogger Skins Blog Template modified using cu products by the following designers: Pixels and Ice Cream, Ashalee Wall, Bannerwoman, Chris Scrap, Kimb's Designs, Delicious Scraps, Cindy Doerksen, ACM Designz, Lolotte, Scrappin Cop, Julia Fialho, Thaty Borges, DigiWeb Studio, Teresa Taylor, TMS, One Scrappy Mom, Mitia Assef, Mercas Designs, DigiDesign Resort. Thanks!

Powered by Blogger