Monday, February 21, 2005

My grandpa...my hero

I was only 4 years old when my grandfather died, yet I remember everything about him; the way he laughed, the way he pretended to be mad at me when I sat in "his" chair, the puzzles I "helped" him put together. I remember everything like it was yesterday. He was the only grandfather I knew, for my mother's father died before I was born. And since I was their first grandchild, boy was I spoiled!!! I remember visiting my grandparents when I was young, and sleeping on the floor in their room on a mattress and then waking up early for breakfast. I remember that my grandfather would always pretend to be asleep so I could go wake him up for breakfast. I remember playing with my grandpa's pipe cleaners, making them into various animal shapes and making up my own zoo, and how mad he got at me for using them all. Of course, he could never stay mad at me for long. I remember how he used to take me to the beach at Morro Bay, and walk out with me while I collected seashells, and taking me to the Atascadero Zoo to see all the animals. He was always so patient with me. And when we played hide-n-seek, he always pretended to not be able to find me. He gave me piggy back rides, and let me help him with his puzzles. He let me crawl all over him, even when he was getting sick. I didn't understand just how sick he was. I didn't even know what leukemia meant when I was a kid. All I knew is that my grandpa, who was once strong and big, was getting weaker everytime we visited. And before I knew it, he was in the hospital. The last memory I have of him was seeing him outside the window to his room. It was sunny outside, and I remember staning outside in the sun, waving to him, eating a chocolate bar. He waved back to me and smiled, and that was the last time I saw him. I was told that he went to heaven, and at the time, I didn't know what that meant. I just knew he wasn't going to be around anymore, and I always thought that he would come back someday. Of course, I know better now. But I still miss him. Even though I was so very young when he died, I could never forget about him...ever. He was my hero, and he still is.

No comments:

Terror Alert
Level

Click to Email me

(click on the envelope to email me)

adopt your own virtual pet!

adopt your own virtual pet!

online

well, have you?

pretty please?

Template Design By: Free Blogger Skins Blog Template modified using cu products by the following designers: Pixels and Ice Cream, Ashalee Wall, Bannerwoman, Chris Scrap, Kimb's Designs, Delicious Scraps, Cindy Doerksen, ACM Designz, Lolotte, Scrappin Cop, Julia Fialho, Thaty Borges, DigiWeb Studio, Teresa Taylor, TMS, One Scrappy Mom, Mitia Assef, Mercas Designs, DigiDesign Resort. Thanks!

Powered by Blogger