Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hi ho, it's off to the park I go

Well, I decided to make this last weekend a driving weekend. I had pretty much made up my mind on Thursday that on Friday I was gonna take a drive to Joshua Tree National Park. Now to those people who don't know California too well, Joshua Tree is about 4 hours from Bakersfield, near Indio, CA. And it is in the desert. I pretty much figured that this would be the last weekend before it started to get REALLY hot there and the last time I would be able to see the wildflowers blooming this year. So, I went. I had a blast by myself. I left around 9:30 and got there about 1:30 and didn't get home to my apartment til about midnight that night. Had I owned a tent, I would have camped out. But I had no tent, so no camping for me. It was a long day though, but I took many pictures, and by now you should know where to find them, but just in case you haven't caught on, you can click HERE to see them.

On Saturday, I went back to Carrizo Plain (which is only about an hour and a half away from Bake-O). I had gotten a new telephoto lens for my digital camera and wanted to try it out some more. The snakes were awake and looking for dinner! I saw 5 of them that day (3 Western Rattlesnakes and 2 Gopher Snakes). Being the animal lover I am, I pushed them all off the road with a stick. None of them liked that very much, but better to be pissed off than to be smooshed by a car. I got some cool pictures which you can also see HERE. Of course, I was never in any danger of getting bitten. I am not gonna be stupid enough to try to catch a rattlesnake (I ain't no Crocodile Hunter, crikey!). I stayed far enough away to avoid the snakes' strike zones (they can strike about 70% of their body length), all in the while respecting their awesome power and beauty (yes, I said beauty in reference to a snake - I love snakes!). I had never been so close to a rattlesnake before. The closest I came to one, outside of a zoo, is the dead body of one that my mom had hacked to pieces with a hoe in our front yard in Lebec. So this was way cool to me!

Yeah. I am sure a lot of people would not find driving all day to a desert and back in one day (I also saw a rattler there, too) and then spending the next day up on a windy plain looking at snakes particularly "fun", but then I am a little on the odd side, so it was fun to me.

On Sunday, there was a marathon of Ghost Hunters on the Sci Fi Channel, and I was all glued to the tv watching that. Now those ghosts are a lot more frightening than snakes! Very cool show. Makes me wanna go out and look for haunted houses!

In other news, my brother is surely pissed cuz the Lakers, after being ahead in game wins, lost the series to the Suns, so there will be no trophy for them this year. Phooey on the Lakers. Phooey.

No comments:

Terror Alert
Level

Click to Email me

(click on the envelope to email me)

adopt your own virtual pet!

adopt your own virtual pet!

online

well, have you?

pretty please?

Template Design By: Free Blogger Skins Blog Template modified using cu products by the following designers: Pixels and Ice Cream, Ashalee Wall, Bannerwoman, Chris Scrap, Kimb's Designs, Delicious Scraps, Cindy Doerksen, ACM Designz, Lolotte, Scrappin Cop, Julia Fialho, Thaty Borges, DigiWeb Studio, Teresa Taylor, TMS, One Scrappy Mom, Mitia Assef, Mercas Designs, DigiDesign Resort. Thanks!

Powered by Blogger